Unfortunately, not all insurance claims find success right away. Sometimes, the insurance company will deny a claim over form errors or accidental mistakes. Other times, claims are denied because of doubt over the claimant’s disability.
If you receive a notice of denial, please do not give up. You have the right to appeal (often more than once) an insurer’s decision about your long-term disability (LTD) claim. Instead of viewing your denial as an impenetrable obstacle, consider seeing it as another chance to prove your eligibility.
These tips may help your LTD appeal succeed!
When facing a long-term or lifetime disability, your savings and retirement plan might not be enough to secure your future. You may find yourself preoccupied with thoughts of the financial hardships to come. A successful appeal can resolve these issues and help you feel better about your financial future.
We recommend following these tips when appealing a claim denial:
- Ensure that your medical records contain complete information about your disability.
- Make sure to verify that the insurer received all documentation that you sent to them.
- Along with official records, send the insurer written opinions from the members of your medical team.
- Consider having your healthcare providers perform additional tests to confirm your LTD.
- Ask your employer (when appropriate) and colleagues for letters illustrating how your condition affected your ability to perform your work.
- If you see a vocational therapist, request a letter from them that confirms your inability to work.
Sometimes, it takes one or more appeals to begin receiving the benefits you need. If the insurer continues to deny your valid LTD insurance claim, consider learning more about Colorado disability claims from a reputable legal source.