While the month of October rings in the fall season, it also marks the Department of Labor’s (DOL) National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM). NDEAM is a nationwide campaign intended to increase the awareness of disability employment issues while celebrating the various contributions made by American workers with disabilities. An additional goal of this campaign is to increase employment opportunities for Americans with disabilities.
The theme for this year’s campaign is Expect. Employ. Empower.
What Employers Can Do to Support National Disability Employment Awareness Month
The DOL’s website offers a number of suggestions as to what various people and entities can do to support National Disability Employment Awareness Month. For employers who would like to support this cause, some of the things that the DOL is recommending are to:
- Update workplace policies to ensure that they explicitly denounce discrimination against people with disabilities
- Put up an NDEAM display somewhere in the workplace to recognize and bring further awareness to National Disability Employment Awareness Month. Communal places like break rooms can be ideal places for NDEAM displays throughout the month of October (and the DOL has various posters you can download, print and display).
- Train supervisors regarding the workplace’s nondiscrimination policies, particularly when it comes to people with mental and/or physical disabilities
- Conduct a short seminar for employees to go over nondiscrimination policies. These can be short and informal, possibly as part of a regular staff meeting.
- Publish a press release about NDEAM, and potentially publish this PR piece on the company website or in a company newsletter.
The bottom line is that anything that can increase awareness of and opportunities for disabled workers is a positive thing.
Denver, Colorado Disability Insurance Lawyers at McDermott Law, LLC
If you or a loved one has recently been diagnosed with a debilitating condition, you will need an aggressive, experienced attorney who will fight for your rights and help you obtain the disability benefits you need and deserve. With more than 30 years of combined legal experience, the Denver disability insurance lawyers at McDermott Law, LLC have been dedicated to helping injured individuals file disability claims, navigate through the complexities of the legal system, stand up to insurance companies and ultimately secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries.
Our extensive knowledge of the law, coupled with our litigating experience and dedication to our clients, makes our attorneys highly effective negotiators, as well as fierce litigators when it’s necessary to resolve a case in the courtroom. When you choose to work with our respected legal professionals, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible representation for your disability claim and that you have the best chances of resolving your case as beneficially and efficiently as possible.
For more information about your legal rights and entitlements, along with a professional evaluation of your potential case, set up a complimentary consult with our lawyers by calling us at (303) 964-1800 or by emailing us using the form on this screen.