Continuing from Facts & Statistics Regarding Disability Insurance Coverage in the U.S. (Pt. 1), below is some additional important information about long-term disability insurance coverage for American workers. This data is based on research conducted by the non-profit Consumer Federation of America (CFA), an organization dedicated to advancing the rights and interests of consumers in the U.S.
Clearing Up Myths about Long-Term Disability Insurance Coverage
According to the CFA, American workers have a number of misconceptions regarding long-term disability insurance coverage and when it comes into play. In fact, as the CFA has reported:
- Most workers in the U.S. underestimate how much work and income is lost due to being injured or developing illness.
- Most do not realize that illnesses – not injuries – are far more often the cause of missing work and losing out on income.
- About 90 percent of disability benefits claims are associated with “common” health impairments. In fact, some of the most common reasons that people end up taking disability leave from their jobs include heart attacks, bone disorders, muscular disorders, strokes and/or nervous system disorders. Childbirth is another common reason cited for taking disability leave from work.
- When an impairment prevents someone from working for 90 days, on average, the term of this disability tends to extend to about two years.
What may be even more important than these statistics is the fact that, according to the CFA, access to employer-provided disability insurance:
- Prevents up to 575,000 American families from slipping into poverty each year
- Saves taxpayers as much as $4.5 billion every year in public assistance costs.
The bottom line is that U.S. workers may not realize that long-term disability insurance coverage can be a critical safety net for them and their families if – or when – they develop an illness, injury or impairment that prevents them from being able to work and earn an income.
Denver, Colorado Disability Insurance Lawyers at McDermott Law, LLC
If you or a loved one has recently been diagnosed with a debilitating condition, you will need an aggressive, experienced attorney who will fight for your rights and help you obtain the disability benefits you need and deserve. With more than 30 years of combined legal experience, the Denver disability insurance lawyers at McDermott Law, LLC have been dedicated to helping injured individuals file disability claims, navigate the complexities of the legal system, stand up to insurance companies and ultimately secure the highest possible benefits for their injuries.
Our extensive knowledge of the law, coupled with our litigating experience and dedication to our clients, makes our attorneys highly effective negotiators, as well as fierce litigators when it’s necessary to resolve a case in the courtroom. When you choose to work with our respected legal professionals, you can rest assured that you are getting the highest quality of legal services and representation for your disability claim and that you have the best chances of resolving your case as favorably and efficiently as possible.
Contact Us Today
For more information about your legal rights and entitlements, along with a professional evaluation of your potential case, set up a complimentary consult with our lawyers by calling us at (303) 964-1800 or by emailing us using the form on this screen.