Undoubtedly, a person’s income is one of his most important assets, and when people are unable to work due to an injury or illness, having disability insurance coverage can be critical to getting the financial support they need as they focus on their recovery. What many people may not be aware of, however, is how this coverage works – or whether they are, in fact, covered by their employers.
In this two-part blog, we will take a closer look at some facts and statistics regarding disability insurance coverage in the U.S., according to data compiled by the Consumer Federation of America (CFA), a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting consumers’ interests.
If you find yourself needing help getting benefits when an injury or illness has impaired your ability to work, don’t hesitate to contact Denver Disability Insurance Lawyer Shawn McDermott.
Overview of Disability Insurance Coverage: Many Are Working without a Safety Net
According to the CFA:
- About 68 percent of people who work in the private second are not covered by long-term disability insurance as part of their employee benefits package. In other words, more than 2 out of every 3 workers in the private sector don’t have employer-sponsored long-term disability insurance coverage.
- For workers who are covered by employer-sponsored long-term disability insurance, their benefits will generally cover about 60 percent of their salary.
- More than half of the people who are covered by employer-sponsored long-term disability insurance report that they don’t know very much or anything at all about their coverage.
- Without long-term disability coverage, more than 75 percent of households report that they would be under serious financial stress if one income was not being earned for a few months due to an injury or illness.
Don’t miss the upcoming second part of this blog for some additional important information and statistics regarding disability insurance coverage for American workers.
Denver, Colorado Disability Insurance Lawyers at McDermott Law, LLC
If you or a loved one has recently been diagnosed with a debilitating condition, you will need an aggressive, experienced attorney who will fight for your rights and help you obtain the disability benefits you need and deserve. With more than three decades of combined legal experience, the Denver disability insurance lawyers at McDermott Law, LLC have been committed to helping injured individuals:
- File disability claims
- Navigate the complexities of the legal system
Stand up to insurance companies
- Ultimately secure the maximum possible benefits for their injuries.
Our extensive knowledge of the law, coupled with our litigating experience and dedication to our clients, makes our attorneys highly effective negotiators, as well as fierce litigators when it’s necessary to resolve a case in the courtroom. When you choose to work with our respected legal professionals, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible representation for your disability claim and that you have the best chances of resolving your case as beneficially and efficiently as possible.
Contact Us Today
For more information about your legal rights and entitlements, along with a professional evaluation of your potential case, set up a complimentary consult with our lawyers by calling us at (303) 964-1800 or by emailing us using the form on this screen.