- Associate Attorney
- ERISA Disability Insurance
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Recovery
- Personal Injury
Timothy M. Garvey is a litigation attorney with the Denver Disability Law firm of McDermott Law, LLC, specializing in the areas of ERISA disability insurance, insurance bad faith, insurance coverage, insurance recovery, and personal injury. Tim is licensed to practice in all courts in the State of Colorado and has represented clients in matters before the Colorado Supreme Court, the Colorado Court of Appeals, Colorado district courts throughout the state, and the United States District Courts in Colorado, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Over his career, Tim has helped both people and corporations successfully resolve their disputes with insurance companies through litigation, mediation, and trial, recovering millions of dollars in wrongfully withheld insurance benefits for his clients. In 2015, Tim co-authored a chapter for the third edition of the Colorado Auto-Litigators Handbook (published by CTLA) entitled Searching for Insurance Coverage and is a co-author of two chapters in the forthcoming Fourth Edition.
Tim has been repeatedly recognized by numerous professional organizations, including Colorado Super Lawyers (Rising Star 2016, 2017, and 2018); the American Society of Legal Advocates (Top 40 under 40 litigation attorney 2015); the Colorado Bar Foundation (Fellow 2014); the Colorado Bar Association (Pro Bono Award 2014); the United States District Court for the District of Colorado (Pro Bono Award 2014); and the Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training program (Graduate 2013).
Tim is a 2010 graduate of the University of Denver, Sturm College of Law. While attending law school, he worked as a research assistant for three professors and completed multiple prestigious internships including one with the Office of Legal Counsel of Governor Bill Ritter, Jr., and another with Judge Ed Bronfin of the Denver District Court. He also won a scholarship to attend The Hague Academy of International Law and had his winning paper published in the Denver Journal of International Law & Policy. Upon graduation, Tim clerked for Judge A. Bruce Jones of the Denver District Court, serving on both civil and domestic relations dockets.
Tim is actively involved in both the legal community and the community at large. He currently serves as a board member for the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association and is a member of both the membership and seminar committees. Tim also serves as a mentor for AmeriCorps volunteers serving with City Year Denver. Other professional memberships include: the American, Colorado, and Denver Bar Associations; the American Association for Justice; the Faculty of Federal Advocates; and the Plaintiffs’ Employment Lawyers Association.
Tim previously served as a Co-Chair for CTLA’s New Lawyers Division (2016–18); as a board member and Treasurer for the Denver-based music/education nonprofit Youth on Record (2012–2017); as President of the Colorado Lawyer Chapter of the American Constitution Society (2013–15); and as a Council Member of the Colorado Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (2012–14).
A native of New Jersey, but a proud Colorado resident for nearly 30 years, Tim enjoys all that living in the Mile High City has to offer, including a thriving arts scene and easy access to the Rocky Mountains. Tim also enjoys traveling with his wife to new destinations and exploring new cultures. Prior to attending law school, Tim spent nearly a decade managing one of the country’s best independent record stores (Twist & Shout Records), while simultaneously running a small Denver-based record label (Public Service Records), DJ’ing at several weekly events, and owning a cheesesteak restaurant (Taste of Philly) with his twin brother.
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- Metropolitan State College of Denver
- B.A. - 2003
- Major: Sociology
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Board Member
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Membership Committee, Member
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Seminar Committee, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Denver Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Faculty of Federal Advocates, Member
- Plaintiffs’ Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- CTLA’s New Lawyers Division, 2016–18, Co-Chair
- American Constitution Society, Colorado Lawyer Chapter, President, 2013–2015
- Colorado Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Council Member, 2012–2014
- Co-author, Searching for Insurance Coverage chapter, Third Edition of the Colorado Auto-Litigators Handbook, CTLA, 2015
- Opinion, Colorado Senators Should Work To Swiftly Protect Our Federal Trial Court, Denver Post, July 16, 2015
- Lawyers, Liars, and the Art of Storytelling: Using Stories to Advocate, Influence, and Persuade, 44 Colo. Lawyer No. 2, 80–81, February 2015
- Flood Insurance Primer, Colorado Bar Association, 2013
- Let Them Help, 90 Denv. U. L. Rev. Online 13, 2013
- Typography for Lawyers: Essential Tools for Polished and Persuasive Documents, 41 Colo. Lawyer No. 12, 81–83, Dec 2012
- God v. Gays? The Rights of Sexual Minorities in International Law as Seen Through the Doomed Existence of the Brazilian Resolution, 38 J. Int’l L. & Pol’y 659, 2010
- AmeriCorps Volunteers, Mentor
- Youth on Record, Board Member and Treasurer, 2012–2017
Classes & Seminars
- CLE Presenter, How to Make the Most of ERISA, CTLA Blockbuster Presentation, Jan 2018
- CLE Presenter, FFA Panel on Representing Prisoners Through Federal Pro Bono Program, Dec 2015
- CLE Presenter, Do’s and Don’ts of Courtroom Etiquette, CBA-YLD annual CLE program, 2012
- Guest Lecturer, Practice of Law in the Nonprofit Sector, Sturm College of Law, 2012
- Rising Star, Colorado Super Lawyers, 2016 - 2020
- Top 40 under 40 litigation Attorney, American Society of Legal Advocates, 2015
- Fellow, Colorado Bar Foundation, 2014
- Pro Bono Award, Colorado Bar Association, 2014
- Pro Bono Award, United States District Court for the District of Colorado, 2014
- Smith v. Liberty Life Assurance Co. of Boston, 2018 WL 4635983 (D. Colo. Sept. 27, 2018)
- Renfandt v. New York Life Ins. Co., 419 P.3d 576 (Colo. 2018)
- Office of Legal Counsel of Governor Bill Ritter, Jr., Intern
- Judge Ed Bronfin, Denver District Court, Intern
- Judge A. Bruce Jones, Denver District Court, Clerk